Tuesday 26 July 2016

8 Things To Do When Life Gets Tough



So, this is a bit of a different one for me, but I thought it might help some readers. Without going into too much detail, I have had a very rough month with things just getting darker and darker. However, I am a proactive bean and I know when I am in a bad way and what will help me get out of it. So I thought I'd compile a list of things which are proven to get me out of sad moments like this, and god dammit they work pretty well...

1. Go Away
First off, you need to get away. It's amazing how much a change of scenery can help your thought processes - different people, different environments - to me, it's the ultimate cure. I have just graduated and after the year I've had all I need is a holiday, but being short on cash and without a valid passport I decided to book something within the UK. And where better to go than home? I'm off to Aberdeen in 3 weeks and I know it's going to do me the world of good. Going away will allow you to come home with fresh eyes on whatever situation you may be in. It'll remind you of why you are where you are, and maybe even remind you of your bigger ambitions. Perhaps it'll give you that kick to move on to somewhere new? Whatever it does for you, it's only good. Take the leap - book a cheap flight and a hostel and go out and see the world!

2. Get Healthy
For me, exercise is usually a dirty word. I used to love running but hadn't hit the pavements for a few years... until the other week. The endorphins alone cheered me up a lot and it actually helped me work out some anger and frustrations. I'm now hooked again and am determined to run 10k by the end of the year. As well as that, knowing that you're taking care of yourself will make you feel more positive, more awake, and more hopeful. I'm not sure how it does it, but it does. Even if it's just switching toast for cereal, little steps can help you feel brighter and better about yourself.

3. Quit
So, not in a bad way... but quit the negativity in your life. If you have a think about the people in your life, is there anyone that just drags you down, or tries to make every situation a negative one? If so, it's time to cut them loose. Of course, it may not be a person, for me it was a habit that was dragging me down and making me feel rubbish about myself. Quitting is hard, but it's so so worth it.

4. Broaden Your Horizons
Is there anything you've ALWAYS wanted to do? For me, one of them anyway, it's to go to India. I don't care what anyone says about the dangers, it's on my bucket list and job situation come September permitting, my best Pani and I are doing it next summer! Maybe it's a new hobby or sport? I've always wanted to learn how to dance and have resolved to start lessons after my first paycheck because you know what? LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO DANCE.

5. Always Have Something To Be Excited About
Maybe it's a big trip to India, maybe it's wearing your new lipstick? It could be having a bath at the end of the day, or treating yourself to a bar of Galaxy. Nothing is too small to get excited about. When you're depressed it's easy to get blind sighted by everything that's going on in your personal life and forget the world out of your bubble. If you have one thing a day that takes you away from that soon you'll start looking for things to get excited about, until your life is one excitable ball of excitement. Like one of those huge bubbles that street performers create. NOTHING is as exciting as seeing one of the giant bubbles.

6. Make Lists
The idea of staying in bed all day watching Jezza and eating crisps is very appealing at times, but it's not going to do you any good at all. There's always something to be done but it's hard to think about them when you're low. If you force yourself to make a list for the next day right before bed, you'll earn that slob time (which I agree is necessary when you're feeling rubbish, but in moderation). Even if the list consists of find scarf, paint nails and cuddle cat it's still better than lying in bed doing nothing.

7. Avoid Alcohol
All I've wanted to do these past few weeks is have a glass of wine and forget about it all, but I know it'll only make everything worse the next day. Alcohol is a depressant, and is not the solution (this is coming from a Scot too!). Believe me, go for a run or a walk or a swim. The pain you feel after a good workout is never as bad as a hangover and you'll feel amazing about yourself rather than suffer from hangover guilt.

8. Believe That It Will Get Better
It's the hardest thing to do out of all of these, especially when things feel bleaker than ever. You may be sick of people telling you it'll all be ok and that things are meant to be. Platitudes just don't work sometimes... BUT they are true. Pain is temporary and things always happen to pave the way to even better and brighter things. It may not seem like it right now, but your life is about to get AMAZING. All you need to do is stick around to see it happen. And that's my main point - stick around - you'll miss something amazing that's about to happen to you if you don't.



If this helped anyone at all then I've done my job. I know writing it alone has helped me.

Stay strong and happy, lovelies.

Lots of love, 
Kat

Next On Sew Well Travelled: My Russian Doll Circle Skirt! Come back on Friday 29th July to find out more :)


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Also at times I feel that focusing my thought on sewing and what I can make with my fabric helps keep the negative thoughts away.
    I hope things will get better soon!

    ReplyDelete