Sunday, 24 May 2015

The Rosy Rockabilly | Self-Drafted

Hi sewers and crafters and interested blog readers! 
At the start of April, I bought some gorgeous skull and roses patterned cotton on a whim as
A. It was something completely different;
And B. It reminded me of my other half and so made me happy (you can all vom now)

So when I sat down to cut it I decided a dress was in order, I knew exactly what I wanted from it but didn't have a pattern to match my desires. I decided to just draw it myself and say to hell with it, and I'm quite happy with the results! 

First of all, it's not 100% self drafted. I took the cami top hack pattern from the new GBSB book and adapted it. 
Once I'd traced out the pattern I then measured the length from my waist to the top of my knee, where I wanted it to stop and marked this from the waistline of the top on the tracing paper. 
With this marked on I then drew out the skirt shape, making it as flared as possible! Once I was happy I cut the fabric and got to work...

It is a simple dress to make, there are a couple of bust darts and there's facing all around the neckline and the back. The straps were sewn in (and taken out many times) at the same time as the interfacing. It curves in at the waist and flares out at the skirt and blows up Marilyn style when it's windy. 

All in all it only took a couple of evenings and didn't make me want to cry. Wiiiin! 

I am so in love with it, and so proud of my first dress that is completely my own design :) 

Let me know what you think and follow if you want to see more creations! 
Til next time sweets, 
Kat xx

No comments:

Post a Comment